Friday, October 30, 2020

mwpm

folio : Contemporary Haiku

 

 

 

periods break &
are broken by passages
of tranquil reprieve

 

 

we can't see the
mountain under so much snow
yet the mountain peaks

 

 

no game show tonight
audience: ask & answer
your own questions

 

 

I have consciously (and perhaps unconsciously) harvested what I like most about the haiku I have read. There is a kernel of something in every great haiku (only a kernel because of the restrained length); it may be profundity, reflexivity, or . . . whatever it is, it is almost always delivered with light, deceptive simplicity. I have endeavoured to achieve this effect with double entendre or non sequitur. I would like to evoke the “huh?” (question) that evolves into the “aha!” (realization), but I don’t know if I’m there yet.

 

 

 

 

mwpm is the author of two chapbooks, cryptopoems (The Blasted Tree, 2018) and tm (timglaset, 2018). Their writing has also appeared in filling Station, (parenthetical), untethered, Touch the Donkey, Our Teeth, baldhip, and Plenitude. mwpm lives and writes on the Haldimand tract, traditional territory of the Neutral, Anishnaabe, and Haudenosaunee peoples.

most popular posts