Thursday, April 2, 2020

K.B. Thors : Three poems



She Contemplates Conception, and Fishing

Sometimes there is just no better option
than being hircine and alone, armed
with an auger, that large white dog
and iced-over lake. The safe way home
limned with hoar frost and mercy, loose
screws in an old chair, the rhythm of parts
aching together. When they find good
kindling, a sudden understanding
splinters: he is heat, singular.
Something everyone wants to be.
She pretends not to mind
the proof he can kiss. He
always had that need, that needle,
that hole to mend.



Letter I Wrote Last Night, In the Bathtub
Thinking about Girls Who are Not My Friends


          I just wanted to tell you
          when you get tired
          you can still use my spine 
          as a rope swing. 
          Rosary-schmozary.



Customs Form


There’s nowhere left for us to meet except these echoes
through space supposed to be taken, seats we bought way back when
we thought names and sheaths could save us. 

I’m not worried. Someday I’ll recognize you through duty-free perfume
and say we should have known which walls were wasp nest. Which hopes
were very reflective terminals and which were straight up ash. Security

picks up a piercings by gauge, so somewhere around here alarm runs
long distance—brass, underwater bells I can’t hear but believe in
with the sureness of dream. Pulling the drawstrings, I shroud myself

against the chill that comes each fall, drilling through wool
to remind me of the last last time I was warm, tucked against your shoulder.
Dozing down the barrel of our still-born dawn.



K.B. Thors is the author of Vulgar Mechanics (Coach House Books) and translator of Kristín Svava Tómasdóttir’s Stormwarning, nominated for the 2019 PEN Literary Award for Poetry in Translation and winner of the American Scandinavian Foundation’s Leif and Inger Sjöberg Prize. She is also the Spanish-English translator of Soledad Marambio’s Chintungo: The Story of Someone Else. She currently serves as Translation Editor for Newfound: A Journal of Art & Place, and is the 2020 CBC/QWF Montréal Writer in Residence.

most popular posts