Saturday, April 4, 2020

Elee Kraljii Gardiner : Thinking about Ken Belford





I was trying to explain to a friend in the US about Ken. I wrote: 

He was 74 and had been ill with several illnesses for several years but there was something about him that just felt…eternal. It’s a sorrow. He was a working man, a labouring guy, with strong hands and a gentle heart. Totally unpretentious and intelligent in the way that shapes one’s life to swerve in precipitous angles, such as abandoning the city and living in the woods. He was one of the few big men who refused to be a Big Man, was frank about his disgust for entitled and sexist guys, and he lost lots of “friends” over that stance.

He wore work clothes. Plaid and jeans. Boots. A guy who always had a pencil on him. He was extremely well-read and in the lines, if you know what I mean. These are two of his many books.

They look so delicate here. He did love beauty and recognized it in odd places, which is a trait I respond to like an elephant hum miles away.

Ken had an earnestness-fearlessness about him I loved. We met because he published with a local press and I knew him by reputation. His books were so intriguing to me; I hadn’t read much poetry yet and I had a billion questions, and he was patient. This poem from Decompositions I hear in his voice and also in my own internal voice. Not all poems can do that.

When I asked him in 2014 if he would come write with us at Thursdays Writing Collective, the Downtown Eastside writing program I ran, he gave an immediate yes. He couldn’t come down to the city for months and when he did, it was with the tail end of pneumonia. I wasn’t sure how it would go. I didn’t know him well, and the table of writers was always dynamic, with very different needs and opinions and reactions. He immediately captured everyone. They could tell he was no bullshit and knew what it was to work. He talked about living along the Nass River and being a guide in Gitxsan territory for years, and his years of manual labour and why he thought of his writing as landguage, and what it meant to be in those woods as a white man, relating to that land. He earned their respect, this table of survivors and people chewed up by the system. They fight to make space for two hours a week of writing together and he knew what it costs. He respected the deep knowledge they acquired through surviving.

He and I began exchanging emails after that. He was an emotional writer in his correspondence, very generous with his reactions. He wrote long and he wrote funny. He didn’t shy away from complex ideas or self-implication. I was always amazed he took the time to respond to me so well. Our friendship was coming up as the MeToo movement was brewing and it really did me good to engage with him. He told me a lot about how CanLit works.

This morning when I learned he died I went to my inbox to reread our emails that began in 2014. I could only recover his responses to my emails, not my own. This is a bereavement mystery. I was working on two books related to health issues and we talked pretty frankly about the procedures he was undergoing. His voice is a bell. He was trying to send me some bureaucratic form and it turned into a boondoggle and he sent me this:

“I quit. It's 3:30 in the morning and I can't get that fucken printer to listen to directions. But then, I was reading something about the germination of wheat, and before you knew it, a poem formed at the tip of my complexity.”

But my favorite email from Ken exists with no provocation or explanation or trace of what I must have sent him to provoke it.

It reads, in its entirety: “I miss my overalls, too.”






Elee Kraljii Gardiner is the author of the poetry books Trauma Head (and a chapbook of the same name), serpentine loop, and the anthologies Against Death: 35 Essays on Living and V6A: Writing from Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside. She founded Thursdays Writing Collective, a beloved non-profit organization, and through its ten years she edited and published nine of its anthologies. She is an associate director of Vancouver Manuscript Intensive and the non-fiction editor at Chapter House, the online journal of the Institute of American Indian Arts where she is an MFA candidate in poetry. eleekg.com

Photo credit: Paul Joseph

most popular posts