Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Victoria Mbabazi : Two poems

 

 

GAME NIGHT AT THE FIFTH HOUSE

Do you want me
to put the poison in the wine I’m drinking
or in the beer you’ll drink later?
Are you still mad at me?
If an Apple dies as a tree
falls into an ocean
Are you still staying the night?
Do you want to leave me?

I love party games
Mafia is my favourite
You are good at killing
loving is better
familiar and fatal

I am good at knowing
the mood of a door
when it closes
If the tap is crying
when it doesn’t shut
all the way off I am good

at engulfing my space
the couch is capable of breathing
and it keeps breaking its legs
I can be good I promise
I am great at becoming
whatever you want me to be
Give me a second give me time

Let me show you I promise
I can walk back into that burning target
and remember all the things
you wanted from the store

 

 

 

OVEREASY

there’s a chance I won’t love you tomorrow I say this hoping the night sky will continue to border us but I also know a place we could get married so I could put my heart in your hands promising the blood won’t get all over your dress and I won’t love you tomorrow

though the sky has one star in it but usually it has no stars in it usually it’s covered in clouds or smoke and shooting planes or whatever BoB said but you won’t know me tomorrow and right now your eyes are the softest they’ve ever been coloured like beer glass

framed in tear stains wide anticipating our relief or we could be forever for a moment we could make promises just call them fever dreams in the morning over eggs and burnt coffee then when the hangover sets in I’ll notice the ring on my finger and swallow it so you can be lost if you’d like and I can belong still to you

 

 

 

 

Victoria Mbabazi is currently Canadian in Brooklyn, New York. victoriambabazi.ca


most popular posts