Thursday, June 3, 2021

Arleen Paré : Metaphor

folio : energy stories

 

 

 

I have watched all four movies:
Fellowship, Two Towers, Return of the King
,
The Hobbit
. I have seen Mordor
shot in crude shades of grey.
I have seen orcs. I have lived in this century

for almost two decades. I live in this country. I have seen
photographs of the tar sands. This tired metaphor

leaning on an old tale. I have seen
this land in unnatural states, mutilations,

all after the ring, that kind of greed,
that kind of old story,

hearts risked, habitation.
Are we not now in the realm of catastrophic,

cataclysmic, cliché? Who is not now
just a little bit jaded, exhausted, worn out?
 

And yet the fellowship holds.

 

 

 

Arleen Paré is a Victoria writer with seven collections of poetry.  She has been shortlisted for the BC Dorothy Livesay Poetry Prize, and has won the American Golden Crown Award for Lesbian Poetry, the Victoria Butler Book Prize, a CBC Bookie Award, and the Governor General’s Award for Poetry.

most popular posts