Monday, January 1, 2024

Daniel Zomparelli : That’s Hollywood, Baby! (for Nikki Reimer

from Report from the Reimer Society, Vol. 1 No. 1

 

 

 

One of the few things I brought from
Vancouver to LA
was the plush cake
you bought me for Christmas
the stuffed one
with the pennies inside.
I put pennies in my shoes
to weigh me down because
LA has made me spacey dude
I’m all finger guns
and besties with executives
doomscrolling my Tesla
on Ambien. JK.
Some guy once wouldn’t leave me
alone, said he knew I was famous
knew me from somewhere
he finally moved on
when I told him I was a poet,
the pennies in my shoes
rattling as I walked away.
Pennies aren’t worth anything
anymore, inflation is hot hot hot!
An Instagram reel taught me
to shellac the floors with my leftover
pennies, I’ll build a road with them
to Santa Monica pier. If you visit
I know a nice place nearby
where we can talk poems, heckle
the ghost of Bukowski
throw the last of our pennies
in the La Brea tar pit.

 

 

 

 

Daniel Zomparelli is the author of Davie Street Translations, and Rom Com co-written with Dina Del Bucchia. His collection Everything Is Awful and You’re a Terrible Person was nominated for the Ethel Wilson Fiction Prize and won the ReLit Short Fiction Award. He co-edited Queer Little Nightmares with David Ly. His latest book of poetry Jump Scare will be published spring of 2024.

most popular posts