Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Gillian Conoley : Process note #30

The 'process notes' pieces were originally solicited by Maw Shein Win as addendum to her teaching particular poems and poetry collections for various workshops and classes. This process note and poems by Gillian Conoley are part of her curriculum for her upcoming class for Maker, Mentor, Muse. Thanks for reading.

 

 

 

I like to keep my process messy and free but it does have a container. From when I first started writing, early drafts are always written in black-bound, hard-cover, unlined sketch books, like the ones visual artists use, usually 9” by 12” in size. I love the tactile feel of them. And that they are already books. Anything can go between their covers: stray thoughts, images pulled from what I see in the day, overheard conversation. I like the page being unlined as it keeps things nonlinear  and undetermined: it’s a wide-open field. Sometimes none of this material is useful but eventually some lines will strike me as belonging together, so from this disarray often written on the diagonal, or with brief sections of automatic prose (though I don’t really think writing can be “automatic”: the brain is quicker than the hand), I’ll start to number lines in a kind of order: this is how my stanzas form and reform. I experience my imagination with pretty much equal amounts of the aural and the visual. If I could walk into a painting or a film I would. If I could be a folk singer I’d do that, too. This sketchbook process keeps me writing, and for me, it may be the closest way to begin writing within the unknown.

And then there’s language, which for me has a dimensionality and the properties of a portal. Its sonic qualities coupled with multitudinous meaning can lead one astray into stubborn opacity or directly into the ineffable. So there’s a tightwire there: if one wants a reader to stay with you, and I do, I have to find balance in language’s physical/metaphysical consequences, vibrations and frequencies and its capacity to think, to sing, to say. I think of all poets as guides into this thicket, as language is our main material: each work begins anew with its own score, painterly stroke, a dancer’s singular gestural syllable or a whole line-length of words in movement. I like the idea of using techniques from other art forms.

Content shows up. It dips and dives as if in water or can be quite insistent. I try to let it do whatever it wants and observe it, attend to it. Of late, particularly in Notes from the Passenger, the dead have been my companions. I grew up with them, literally, but that’s another story. In our current terrifying historical moment, the dead and the soon-to-be dead all around us, we’re killing each other and the planet off. The truism that humans always think it’s the end of the world is starting to ring a little hollow.

It occurs to me that in the process I’m describing––because I’m interested in poetics/aesthetics as much as the social/political, and really don’t see much difference between the two, I’m often thinking of how to be present to our world in its unrelenting speed and saturation. The realm of the didactic sits on a throne for those who “know,” not poets, who traffic more in the unknown.

Another thought due to so many dead is can an artist’s mark leave something behind? I’m not talking about fame here, or what is worthy of being left behind. On all lands over which human ego is hotly contested and displayed, what lasts and is perhaps of most interest is the art left at the crossroads, if it doesn’t get destroyed. Aristotle believed that if one wants to know what it was like to be alive at a certain time, we must look at the art of that time period over historical record for the nuances and mysteries of what it is to live, to breathe, to have the life force within us. Aristotle, moving from mimesis to pleasure and back again, plants the seeds to a pathway more open to the ineffable, leading to Plotinus, Lao Tzu, and so on. In terms of having the political come into one’s work, Nietzsche might be of the most use here: in the Dawn of Day he writes: “the surest way to corrupt youth is to instruct them to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.”

I imagine the sketchbooks are connected to my interest in consciousness and perception, its associations and disassociations, its intimacies and distances. I also love the book as book. I have so many sketchbooks that I’ve lost count, and of course I have more sketchbooks than published books. I don’t think I could have one without the other. Writing takes so many forms.

 

 

 

A metropole that unpeoples and peoples

 


The burnt tropic      masticating its vine stock     wand and wind––

Cracked I-phone glass  :   raying thought, chatter  :  susurration and aftershock

hair matted   below our ears receiving signals   //  not all that    synthesizable––

 

 

rhythm and phoneme     saying hey there,     hey there

 

 

       [until more gessoed grew        the honeydark summer street––

 

 

 

when you]     coming back––

 

                     sang––

 

                                             the heat     ––fecund–– nightfallen

 

 

Partial to sky––tadpoles gone celestial––

 

Our vocabulary split

 

 

into two columns in which:    a lexicon likes beginning      ––carrion, nightingale––

 

cloud bank and snow––     A waitress slept in her car for the heat

 

breathing in   the half inch of the window    left open

 

 

 

 

White Spruce

 

 

If all experience

is mystical

the white spruce

swayed in the window

branch by branch almost to the doorstep

willow-like

near your sun-damaged eyes

 

And what do dirt’s

sinuous motions

have to do 

with leaf’s actions

 

I asked the young woman

I asked the grandmother

and the entire family

crawling across the floor

 

And who is the young returnee who

would carry his AK-47 past the 7-11

almost to the corner and back

wanting chips sometimes candy

a contemplative on duty

 

This wake, sleep, this wake sleep sea

the planet

and its lost parts

lay plow to the furrow

dream a little dream

with me

 

 

 

 

How it was no longer only the country that was divided

 

 

It was the order and their words                So that when someone said work

We lay down     so that when someone     said art

Memory was our insufficiency           We caught it in our hands    grievous sharp

After 5 or so years   the T-shirt pills        Every day I say     try throwing it away

To teach my daughter    something new      Your grandfather’s war helmet, I say

your grandmother’s     high pile of cottony tresses     the opal axis of her hairpin

steel mink of her closed eye     Something new     Who speaks through your mouth

Throw it away      do you want it to say     Sister Perpetua      or Mother Apocalypse

on your T-shirt     Tumbling out,    a word order reveals    a pack of boys     

who unzip to sire   the city seepage     I say    if dust’s cosmological    camouflage coats us,   

 we re-route to another street     I mean, who knows, the house     might not even be here    

 You, however,  are my wonder    fatal, prenatal    as water down a leg     I was born after a war 

 came of age in a war      leave war everywhere    who speaks through your mouth   won’t be me    

Something very large and open     and waiting waiting       I errand to fill my hole

You scroll and want worlds    the many worlds of    wanting worlds      The gentle body of light

enters the car    slow-surfing     the speedbumps     carrying us along     oceanically

because I am vanishing    I think     to show you how but not    just now let’s not   talk    just now

Return, return, says the body of light     deciding to not decide    which one  of us     to call

Into gentle body of light’s luscious quandary    settling  also into the front seat  

transmuted  inflamed     our faces our voices     If as mother I gave you mortality 

if as daughter  you gave me  immortality’s     brief mirror glint     You are reaching

into screen  to play your music    if this is the end    Empty hands of humanity

will not tomorrow      be enough for you?   Mortality upon us with its rosy edge

of want    Mortality upon us with a rosy edge of what     So nothing cannot go unsaid        

to pass the night in open air       Saint Perpetua     invented the diary in prison 

and after requesting water     knew not to ask    for any other favor  

but perseverance of the flesh        I’m green and strong        as live oak    on dry gold grass

I’m blue externalizing my interior enemies    when they are gone    I aspirate in primeval mist

James Joyce wrote The Dead    until the last page was snow full

If there is fire    we will pick it up     play with it   

Gentle body of light,   I am lonesome pine for you

Who speaks     waits under    the blind glare of Jane Eyre’s     mysterious red room

Unlock      and we rivercane   the lyric     you know that patois?

Gentle body of light     you’ve got such a cruel Ideal

Grievous sharp-nailed coyote     steps at seafoam’s edge

If we isolate the isotope    may it rain      in the echo chamber

Gentle body of light, when we’re within you    we’re outside you    we swim the plasma

We woodshred      the threshold       find airport     by matchlight

 

 

 

 

Reprinted with permission of Nightboat Books.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Gillian Conoley is a poet, editor, and translator. Often comprising narrative, lyric, and fragmented forms, her work takes up an inquiry into spirit and matter, the individual and the state. Her new collection is Notes from the Passenger (Nightboat Books, 2023) her tenth book, short-listed for the California Independent Bookseller’s Golden Poppy Award. Conoley received the Shelley Memorial Award from the Poetry Society of America, a National Endowment for the Arts Grant, and a Fund for Poetry Award. Conoley has taught at the University of Iowa Writers’ Workshop, the University of Denver, Vermont College, Tulane, and Sonoma State University. A long-time resident of the San Francisco Bay Area, she is editor of VOLT magazine. Her translations of three books by Henri Michaux, Thousand Times Broken, appearing in English for the first time, is with City Lights.

Maw Shein Win’s most recent poetry collection is Storage Unit for the Spirit House (Omnidawn) which was nominated for the Northern California Book Award in Poetry, longlisted for the PEN America Open Book Award, and shortlisted for CALIBA’s Golden Poppy Award for Poetry. Win's previous collections include Invisible Gifts (Manic D Press) and two chapbooks: Ruins of a glittering palace (SPA) and Score and Bone (Nomadic Press). Win’s Process Note Series features poets and their process. She is the inaugural poet laureate of El Cerrito, CA and teaches poetry in the MFA Program at the University of San Francisco. Win often collaborates with visual artists, musicians, and other writers and was recently selected as a 2023 YBCA 100 Honoree. Along with Dawn Angelicca Barcelona and Mary Volmer, she is a co-founder of Maker, Mentor, Muse, a new literary community. mawsheinwin.com

most popular posts