Sunday, October 3, 2021

Natalie Jane Edson : Two poems

 

 

 

KILL! KILL!

Don’t make me eat you baby
I’m already stuffed

you know you eat all those big miles
and all you get is sickness and sand

hey dummy don’t even try to break free
time is an oiled and muscled creature

and I’ve tied it up,
even tighter than I’ve tied you

look at all these coiling ropes
you’re never leaving here

see I used to sing like an American bird
but I’ve gotten twisted in this desert

collecting knives and bodies
as I whistle the old tunes

I shimmied and stripped to
remembering the spotlights

and the fancy beaded bras
the spotlight was a tool

it shined like a phony sun
I hid this crazy under a blossom

because men don’t fear good girls
and none of this was an accident

 

 

EGO DEATH

i have often said that my insides are an ocean
a faraway and abstract ocean
a scaffolding of pastel blues
 

a whole army of wooden boats glides across my surface
i have many moods but i don’t really know them
this self division is childlike
 

an adaptation of fantastic persona
i have always cherished the almost burn
the picture of a flame on the yellowed page
 

this self encasement in aging black leather
old journals contain a smoothness
the lightness of an open window
 

this self returning is a long road trip
to an existence without verbs
old journals the containers for all new action
 

but the repeating faraway mirrors
lack the elegant distortion
old journals lend to this constant story
 

oh the longing for glamour dances slowly
a repeating heartbeat in time
with its perfect hips circling into roses
 

the familiar fails me it crashes nightly
but the repeating day feels its bounds
as a circle on the water
 

with its perfect disappearance
my outside self is sitting in the old chair
rereading the same five poems and crying

with her perfect breasts and her dissatisfaction
always in the old chair warming nothing
my outside self just touching the air
 

when they say that love is inevitable
and tell me what women are meant to do
my outside self is an unbreakable ghost
 

whose transparency won’t be destroyed
even when they ask what is wrong with me
oh red wine stained my teeth that night
 

my hips led me into a wild dance
when they inquire about my physical presence
i will show them what is real 
 

oh red wine turned a key in me
these days i let myself sleep late
each long rest loosens the binding
 

oh red wine an infinity of red wine
this is my new and ultimate ocean
these days i let myself dream of the future
 

this scaffolding of muscle and bones
keeps me tethered to the earth
these days i let myself rewrite my truths
 

jump gleefully off any precipice
this scaffolding of only temporary use

 

 

 

Natalie Jane Edson is a queer poet and computer programmer based in Portland, Oregon. She has a B.A. in Applied Mathematics from the University of Oregon and approaches her work with the interdisciplinary in mind. Her artistic practice centers around process—a mix of algorithm, iteration, divination and letting the subconscious mind speak for itself. She published a chapbook, BALACLAVA, in June 2019 and is currently working on her debut full-length manuscript.

 

most popular posts