Wednesday, May 5, 2021

rob mclennan: Fourteen Questions: An interview with Lisa Fishman

 

 

 

Back in June, 2020, Lisa Fishman sent along a series of fourteen interview questions she’d crafted for me to answer, focusing on my collection How the alphabet was made (2018). I responded within a matter of days, as I tend to do for such things, but simultaneously thought it would be interesting to rework her original questions and return for her to respond to, focusing around her newly-released Mad World, Mad Kings, Mad Composition. If anyone is interested, Fishman’s interview with me will run in the fall 2021 issue of Chicago journal Court Green. Here are her responses to my reworked questions, which landed in my in-box two nights ago.

Lisa Fishman is the author of seven collections of poetry, most recently Mad World, Mad Kings, Mad Composition (Wave Books, 2020). Earlier books include 24 Pages and other poems, F L O W E R C A R T, and The Happiness Experiment (Wave and Ahsahta Press). Her work is anthologized in Best American Experimental Writing, The Ecopoetry Anthology, The Arcadia Project: North American Postmodern Pastoral and elsewhere. A Pushcart Prize nominee and a PEN/Robert J. Dau Short Story Prize nominee, Fishman is a dual Canadian/US writer who divides her time between Nova Scotia and her farm in Wisconsin. Her debut fiction collection, World Naked Bike Ride, is forthcoming on Gaspereau Press.

1. How were you able to determine the structure of your Mad World, Mad Kings, Mad Composition? Given it is a collection built out of sixteen years’ worth of notebooks, how did the project first present itself to you?

I always seem to have a kind of amnesia after writing or publishing a book, and that seems to be especially the case with this one. I never thought of it as a project. Most of what I do is not project-based in the sense of having a preconceived idea about what one is doing or how. If poetry is living—I want to emphasize this—then it’s just what is being written, what one is writing, over time, in time. Still, I’ll try to notice or remember some things related to your question.

I saw that there was writing I had left out of, possibly [self-]suppressed from, the several books that were published in that 16-year period. Some of what had been left out was deeply imprinted by early motherhood. If that material had been included in my books then, starting in the mid-2000s, it (the experience of early motherhood) would have been a different reading and publishing experience. It was interesting to me to see it freshly (as I gathered pieces and scraps of paper that had writing on them over 16 years) in the context of all of the other life and living going on during that time and afterward too.

Also, it’s important that the book is haunted by, and wrestling with, Laura (Riding) Jackson’s renunciation of poetry in 1941. I saw that some of her concerns, about poetry as a rarefied zone of truth (which, for her, implied that the rest of culture could get away with being based on lies and untruthful speech) were also mine. As you can see, the book is questioning what lines are drawn around artefacts called poems (on the one hand) and (on the other hand) the initiating energy and substrata of poeisis: the poem-in-the-making, the active process or activity of a poem coming to be.

2. You include images of handwritten drafts in this book. Why is the unpolished draft important to you? What do you feel it offers or allows that the polished final version can’t

As I was answering #1, I saw that my answer veers into your second question here, so I’ll refer back up to the end of my answer to #1, handily. And to add to it: The “working on” or “working over” or over-working of poems is often (not always) what begins to give them the patina of fakeness and/or calcification. I feel this as a writer and as a reader. A dramatic example is Francis Ponge’s notebook in preparation for writing “The Pré.” Most people recognize that the notebook itself, published as The Making of the Pré, is alive in ways that the poem he eventually constructed and crafted is not. (I refer to Lee Fahenstock’s translation.) bpNichols’s work is another vivid example of what I’m getting at. Donald Revell’s book on craft (which notion, that of “craft,” he brilliantly turns on its head) speaks concisely to what I’m getting at with good examples, such as from Ronald Johnson. See Revell, The Art of Attention.

3. How do you feel at the moment about solitude? Has that been a part of your writing practice in overt or covert ways?

I find periods of solitude very important because solitude usually happens to dovetail with longer expanses of time. So, is it the long, open-ended periods of time that are really helpful, and/or the solitude that’s periodically helpful? Either way, I feel more freedom to write and to read when  I’m apart from a domestic structure/schedule and without even one other person to navigate the day with.

It’s not something I reify as a long-term ideal state (at least for myself)—but I have been finding it nourishing to go away by myself for short periods of time over the past couple of years. Whether that’s for three weeks alone in a cabin in Northern Ontario, or three months alone in Nova Scotia, those recent instances have been extremely generative for me.

And then I get to go home and be again with people I love, and be fully present to other people wherever I am at that time. I’m not a good multi-tasker, and I don’t work efficiently, so periodic solitude is super helpful.

4. What is reading another person’s poems like, for you? How would you describe what you’re hearing when you’re reading a poet whose work absorbs you? Would you describe it as hearing? And/or as something else?

Of course it depends on whose poems; what happens when I read Wallace Stevens is a different experience from what happens when I read Robert Duncan. But yes, I have to be able to hear the work, either the music of it and/or the talking of it. What happens when I’m reading poetry that absorbs me is that I’m hearing it “out loud” inside my head, and the poetry is very present. Also, it is usually a reading of more than one poem or poet at a time, because of the echo chamber that poetry is: reading is allusive. A cadence or phrase or figure in a poem will get the bell of allusion ringing, and so it could be said that poems, at least those that are most capable of continuing to change and be alive over time, are all polyphonic/polyvocal in secret ways. [After I wrote that sentence, I saw that Michal Palmer said something very similar in an interview about his new book, The Laughter of the Sphinx.]

Poems have memories, and are made of other poems, and to really read poetry is to hear that—that being the synchrony and polyvocality that poiesis makes of time and voice.

5. When you write, how do you know what word comes next?

I think that this answer, too, is related to the one above (#4). By listening. By letting the word that just got written down listen, and allow the next one to emerge. You can think of the phrase, “It’s not about me,” and add: “It’s not about what I thought this poem would be about, or what I wanted it to be about,” and envision how that might apply to the compositional process. Often we need to get out of the way of the poem and let it emerge, since another way of saying that poems have memories is that poems have ears. Let them do the listening, and see what word comes next.

I just read a marvelous sentence by Robert Walser (trans. Tom Whalen): “Music is essentially something irresponsible, rocking, life-assertive.” That is one of the secrets of poetry.

I don’t revise extensively, but I take a lot away and play with arrangement: these few lines from one poem with those few lines from a different poem, and so on.  And, the question of when there should be no words is just as active a question as what the next word might be.

6. What or how are you hearing when you write? (And/or, would you describe other sensory or cognitive functions as being most present when you write? Such as seeing, thinking, memory, guessing, etc.)

Egads, who thought of these questions so far? Okay, a taste of my own medicine . . .

The mystery of what one is hearing that brings one to write something down is definitely that: a mystery. Phrases or a word or two that “pop into your head” or that you find yourself writing – that’s an uncanny kind of hearing, and for me it’s how I know that a poem is emerging of its own internal necessity, or at least that what’s emerging might be a poem.


When I write, I am also often thinking. One shouldn’t be afraid to inhabit the page as a space for thinking (actual, unresolved thinking), as long as thinking isn’t mistaken for knowing ahead of time what one wishes to say, as in: “I have a thesis or argument or point or message and must ‘think’ about how to present it, or ‘figure out’ how to craft it.” That is not thinking in the sense of poeisis. One of the most liberating things about poetry is that recognition.

I like the notion of “guessing” as something that’s going on in writing – I think that verb is quite charged when Keats uses it in “Ode on Melancholy” (“and guess each sweet”), and that it’s connected to the negative capability necessary for writing a poem if the poem is to have its own innate life and necessity apart from your will and intentions.

Memory, yes, but not in the sense of sitting down to report on something one remembers— memory is always involved in any single word one writes down, if you track it, but I’m not interested in serving up memories as important in themselves or using them as a means toward an epiphany. Hoa Nguyen quoted Jack Spicer the other night: “the poet is a time-mechanic, not an embalmer.”

Remembering is an inevitable part of the aura or substrata of a poem, but what is remembered (the content) is too often mistaken—whether by the writer or a reader—as the subject of the poem or its raison d’etre. I’m much more interested in the processes and layerings, shiftings, secrecies, movement and resistance of memory (not to mention the processes, shiftings, etc. of present-moment phenomenae). I want to read poems that embody unpredictability and unknowing in those ways, even when grounded in actual seeing and felt experience.

7. If you were to write the biography of one body part of your own, which would it be and why?

When I asked you that, rob, I was thinking of a book I love by bpNichol, Organ Music, which consists of discrete prose biographies of various parts of his body. You can imagine! They’re wonderful. Inspired by him, at one point in my new book this poem appears:

                    
The Fingers


                    
are what seem to be both part of the body and potentially not.

                    
The part that has the most life apart from the rest of the body.

In a way, that was my two-sentence biography of my fingers, so I suppose if I had to write a full-on biography of a body part, I would pick up where I left off, with the fingers.


8. How does the process of constructing Mad World, Mad Kings, Mad Composition relate to how you structured your previous collections? What prompted your more recent shift into writing stories? Are these related?

I was going through earlier books the other night looking for poems to include in a reading, and I realized how extremely different Mad World is from all of the others. It’s much easier, for example, to read out loud from 24 Pages and other poems or from Current or F L O W E R C A R T than from the Mad book. The latter was constructed in such an unusual and particular way for me that there isn’t much overlap between how it came to be and how the earlier books came to be.

I think you’ve hit on something with the second part of your question. The prose that appears in the new book was probably related to my growing desire to write fiction. I’m not sure how, exactly, but I suspect that is the case.

9. What is a particular memory you have of any of the following:

          A. A bicycle

          B. An elementary school classroom
          C. A door

          D. The color blue


Yep, I remember asking you that. I have a feeling it was more fun to pose the question than (for me at least) to answer it! This has been a useful exercise in table-turning. But, to the question:


What if memory could encompass all of them at once? As if I could tell you that I once rode a blue bike through the doors of Webster Elementary and into the third-grade classroom of Mrs. Stevens. But I didn’t.

Or, that the green chalkboard in a classroom turned into a blue door if you stared at it in a certain way, but as soon as you rode home on your banana seat bike you forgot about it until the next time it happened?

There is a fact that includes two of the above, A and D: I had a royal blue Raleigh 10-speed from when we lived in the city, but in eighth grade we moved up north to the top of a hill on a gravel road up with almost no other houses on it. It was really hard to ride up the hill, it was so steep, long, and gravelly. Once I gave up and hid my bike in the field on the side of the road—this was after my shift cleaning motel rooms at the Dune Valley Motel (summer)—intending to retrieve it later with my mother in the car. When we drove down the road to get it from the field where I thought I’d hidden it safely, it was gone. The bike was not replaced, and I had to give up the housekeeping job at the motel, which I “shared” with my best friend (we split the shifts), and she was aggrieved, understandably. So much for a happy ending.

1
0. Is there an area of knowledge you enjoy spending time in or are curious about besides writing and literature? (History, science, philosophy, nutrition, other specific arts, etc.)

Yes, quite a few. During the time of my first several books, I was also spending a lot of time reading psychoanalytic and literary theory, and to some degree philosophy. Now I gravitate toward natural history and geology. I like to read about painting and painters too. And I’ll confess that I have an inordinate interest in health and nutrition, so I read more than I should about such.


11. How would you describe your relationship to the pastoral? How does your interest in the pastoral inform your work, and how does that interest present itself in your writing?


I’m going to copy the TTD answer to that question here, rob, since it gives a pretty solid overview of my thoughts about this:

The term “pastoral” is almost always misused and/or misunderstood, so forgive me for wanting to contextualize that term first. Even 2500 years ago when Theocritus sang about shepherds at rest in the countryside, he was not sentimentalizing them or being nostalgic. The Princeton Encyclopedia of Poetics handily says: “The predominating tone of Theocritus is one of ironic detachment and allusive cleverness; the country setting figures mainly as an element of coarse realism and occasional barnyard vulgarity, never as an ideal of lost innocence” (emphasis added). I’ve always been much more interested in “coarse realism” and even “barnyard vulgarity” than in idealizing the rural, and nostalgia has no place in poetry. I happen to live on a farm, so when people know that part of my biography, they assume I write about the countryside, which they assume = pastoral. The point is that even what has become associated with the pastoral long after Theocritus’s Idylls and Virgil’s Ecologues can only be (and probably always was) an active questioning, interrogation, revision, contestation with whatever is signified by, or mistaken as, “pastoral.” Shepherds resting in pastures in the 3rd century BCE don’t exist anymore, so pasture-poetry doesn’t exist anymore—but even then, the work was never hearts-and-flowers “nature” poetry.

All of that said, the “coarse realism” of my work is grounded in paying attention, and if what’s around me is a rural place, there will be things in it I’m paying attention to, such as what an apple looks like frozen on a tree from which you can still suck out the juice. If I’m riding the Red Line in Chicago, I pay (or rather, give) attention to that. Ditto wherever. I do live in different places, primarily the farm and Madison, but also downtown Chicago. Prior to the farm, New York City, Utah, Los Angeles. And now Nova Scotia in part. Any environment that has shaped one by being present in one’s thinking and attentiveness may inform (in-form) a poem at any time. Not predictable, not unitary, never a matter of intention.


12. Do you frequently spend most of the day writing? How has your teaching impacted the ways in which you approach writing? How long does it take for you to put a collection together?


I frequently spend no part of the day writing. It’s more unusual for me to be writing than to not be writing, except when I have long spans of time with at least some of that long span alone. The exception is when I write with my students in the classroom, since why should anyone be able to walk into a creative writing classroom and not see any writing happening? To an extent, my classes are like studio classes (as an art class would be), where the drawing—I mean writing—is actually happening. That’s a new development over the past five years, and it’s helped foster spontaneity, improvisation, collaboration, play, and has deepened my belief in the poem in its undoctored state, or as a process/practice/way of being present.


It’s hard to answer the last question in #12, how long it takes to put a collection together. I don’t know.

It seems different for each book, and it always just depends on the book and its particular way of forming.

13. Your author biography describes you as being simultaneously an American and Canadian writer. What would you consider your relationship to Canada, specifically Canadian writing, and how is that different from your relationship to American writing?

A welcome question. Canada in a way houses or is the site of half my childhood, and more than half of my early literary sensibility, given all of the time we spent traipsing across the border from Detroit to Montreal where my entire family on my dad’s side lived and continues to live—although my dad (born in 1930) and his sisters were the first generation born in North America. Their parents immigrated from Russia and Romania around 1918.

How my relationship to Canadian literature is different from my relationship to American [U. S.] writing is that it’s far less “schooled.” It’s a relationship to story-telling, polyphony and multi-lingualism, Jewishness, Yiddishness, Quebec-Frenchness, music, feminism (my aunts), argument, analysis, interpretation, but all in the realm of intimacy, familiality, and the fracturedness of identity and connection to people and place(s).

For all of those reasons, perhaps, Canada happens to be the place where I first felt the strange and wonderful desire/obsession to write fiction. Numerous short stories of mine have origins in Montreal and Nova Scotia; the latter is where I went for four months recently in order to bring a collection of short stories to completion. Which has just happened. The fiction collection, World Naked Bike Ride, will be published by Gaspereau Press in Fall 2022.

14. Last question, choose A or B:

           A. What can you see if you look around you right now?
           B. What is a recent dream you can remember?


I’ll pretty much always go with A over B. Red maple leaves outside the east-facing window. Small dog with large black ears on orange chair next to south-facing window. James’s guitar, Henry’s chair, my reading glasses, a pencil, and a tea cup—the last three items on a table my dad made, with also a raggedy crocheted pot-holder thing under the cup. The dandelions out front and the laundry basket beside the couch. Red maple leaves. 









Born in Ottawa, Canada’s glorious capital city, rob mclennan currently lives in Ottawa, where he is home full-time with the two wee girls he shares with Christine McNair. The author of more than thirty trade books of poetry, fiction and non-fiction, his most recent poetry titles include A halt, which is empty (Mansfield Press, 2019) and Life sentence, (Spuyten Duyvil, 2019), with a further poetry title, the book of smaller, forthcoming from University of Calgary Press. In spring 2020, he won ‘best pandemic beard’ from Coach House Books via Twitter, of which he is extremely proud (and mentions constantly). He spent the 2007-8 academic year in Edmonton as writer-in-residence at the University of Alberta, and regularly posts reviews, essays, interviews and other notices at robmclennan.blogspot.com

most popular posts