Thursday, October 1, 2026

Tyler Mills : Three poems from her

 

 

 

 

Between 1837 and 1852, Catherine gave birth to ten children.

One died, at almost one.

The affair with the young actress began in 1857.

In 1858, Charles tried to institutionalize Catherine.

Her doctor refused.

 

 

 

Project

This is not a biography in poems.
Not a search for presence.
Not a re-enactment of a person:
more like a walk
through a meadow
where someone had built
a steel sculpture. You can pass
through its legs and perceive what
parts of trees, sky, September
clouds back-lit and molten
look like where you stand
and where you stood.

 

 

As If

While I read about her
wet nurse one afternoon, on my phone, 

of course (“bad mom”),
I thought I knew 

my child was on the swing
in front of me 

and I thought I lost
only moments, 

but when
I looked up the seat 

swung emptily and it
was as if 

I had no child.

 

 

A Mother in Dickens
          from Hard Times 

Pink-eyed bundle
of shawls 

tidies cabinets—
minerals and shells— 

like a feminine dormouse,
even the imagination 

of the novelist stretching
like a wet stocking 

to offer us this
analogy: Mrs. G., 

weakly smiling,
faintly looked at 

the tongs, which makes
sense as it was her 

job to tend the fire
and feed 

all those kids, I think,
but there is more he says 

of her, this omniscient
mind. The family man 

invites us to see her
wondering 

if the tool should be dug
under the jewels of 

broken tinder, furrowed
like a brain. 

That this is
the most appropriate thing 

her imbecility could think
of doing
, the book says— 

no, not everyone
could stride in 

and demand tea
and round o’s and i’s, 

ink on paper like starlings
eating from a weedy field, 

like pottery smashed in dirt
heaps and buried 

while children ran around
coughing and shitting in pans, 

no, but she might have showed
a symptom 

of coming to life. If he let her.
She might speak.

 

 

 

 

Tyler Mills is the author of Big Bad, forthcoming from Tupelo Press in 2028, City Scattered (Snowbound Award, Tupelo Press 2022), Hawk Parable (University of Akron Press 2019), and Tongue Lyre (Crab Orchard Series in Poetry First Book Award, Southern Illinois University Press 2013). Her chapbook her is forthcoming in November 2026 from above/ground press. She is co-author with Kendra DeColo of Low Budget Movie (Diode Editions). Her memoir The Bomb Cloud (Unbound Edition Press 2024) received a Literature Grant from the Café Royal Foundation NYC. Her poems have appeared in The New Yorker, The Guardian, The New Republic, and Poetry, and she has written a guidebook of poetry prompts for poets, Poetry Studio: Prompts for Poets. Tyler teaches for Sarah Lawrence College’s Writing Institute and lives in Brooklyn, on part of the unceded homeland of the Lenape people.

most popular posts