Monday, September 21, 2026

Jade Wallace : Scrapbook : All night I stare at the TV screen—

folio : Scrapbook

 

 

 

all night I stare at death.
Pressing my ear to the locked
door that she is, I hear the crystal
vial splinter of temporal bone.
One clear crack and her mind
whelms the room in a cologne of
wormwood and lavender. 

Notes seep across the threshold
to find me kneeling in the hotel hall
among some thousand thwarted
witnesses to her life, who pass
through this corridor each day,
waiting for the sonic boom that
recurs with the circling of the earth. 

After the gunshot, she is a vignette
for fourteen minutes before the living
rush in to bear her unrecognizable
body away. They come with their rubber
gloves, turn up with their scrub brushes
and lye. They tear out the blood-spotted
carpet, trash the mattress and duvet. 

They cannot take her from this room;
its contents have been resignified.
The number on the door is now
shorthand for her quondam name.
She need not respond when echoes from
a farther room dismiss her, felo de se—their
own hearsay forfends this easy resolve. 

Outside, we overlingerers whisper among
ourselves, amateur attorneys defending
our silk-stockinged pseudo-suicide in her
blue-nosed leather heels. For instance,
some argue that she would never wilfully
collapse as she did, haphazard,
on a corner of the bed.

Regardless, the scant light that transfuses
the drawn curtains of her face is an
afterimage I cannot close my
eyes against. Overcome, I cling to
my chosen rumours, my stray
inklings, the fiction that
she can still be solved. 

Our own illuminous endings
are tantamount to hers:
Death will be the moment
that we become unknowable.
See? I understand this.
So I cannot accept that she
is gone to the myriad, 

another latent enigma.

 

 

“All night I stare at the TV screen—” does not appear in The Work Is Done When We Are Dead (Guernica Editions, 2026).

 

 

 

 

 

Jade Wallace [photo credit: Mark Laliberte] is a queer and chronically ill poet, novelist, and literary critic. Their work has appeared or is forthcoming in venues internationally, including Best Canadian Poetry, Channel, Geist, Salamander, Seventh Wave, and The Malahat Review. Wallace is the author of two poetry collections, Love Is A Place But You Cannot Live There and The Work Is Done When We Are Dead (Guernica Editions, 2023 and October 2026) and a genderless novel, ANOMIA (Palimpsest Press, 2024). As co-founder of the writing partnership MA|DE, Wallace has also co-authored two collaborative poetry collections, ZZOO and Detourism (Palimpsest Press, 2025 and 2028). Keep in touch: jadewallace.ca + ma-de.ca

most popular posts