Saturday, August 5, 2023

Rooja Mohassessy : Process Note #22

The 'process notes' pieces were originally solicited by Maw Shein Win as addendum to her teaching particular poems and poetry collections for various workshops and classes. These poems and process note by Brian Ang is part of her curriculum for upcoming classes at the University of San Francisco in their MFA Program and for Poetry In Process: Creating Together, A Workshop.

 

 

 

When Your sky Runs Into Mine (Elixir Press, February 2023) grew out of my thesis project at Pacific University. The project was to write poems inspired by the art of my uncle, Bahman Mohassess (1931-2010), the prominent Iranian painter and sculptor often called The Persian Picasso. After the Iranian revolution of 1978 and a few years into the war that followed, Mohassess facilitated my emigration from the country and assumed the role of my guardian.  Twenty-five years later, he passed away in exile, under difficult circumstances, and as an adult I have yet to understand the depth of grief and the resentment I feel for the political tides that sabotaged his brilliant artistic career and displaced my family. Knowing that I had some healing to do, I resolved, after decades of teaching, to finally carve out some me time and pursue an MFA in poetry.

I began to spend time with his work on a daily basis and allowed each piece, the colors, forms, lines of the collages and the associations they evoked to take me back to memories of my childhood before emigration, a period I barely had any recollection of. Leaving my deaf-mute parents behind at war time and the process of assimilating into Western culture had not come easy for the shy, introverted, partially indoctrinated young person I was then. Instinctively, I knew I was not whole. Writing poems enabled me to put the pieces of my personal history back together, give homage to my family, whose love had helped me survive the traumas of transplant, and to squarely recognize the very real harm a patriarchal system with narrow antiquated views of religion can wreak on young minds. 

I was certain I did not want to write a memoir. Yet in the process of writing, I focused on removing inhibitions. I gave myself permission to write about anything that presented itself. I made no plans. Only the daily practice of studying the artwork and working to recover bits and pieces of the young person I was before and shortly after exile, when traumatic experiences had made me dissatisfied with myself. In his Meditatations, Marcus Aurelius says, “When the ruling faculty is discontented with anything that happens … it deserts its post”. Children are quick to assume blame for circumstances beyond their control, and often it takes years, therapy and distance to gain perspective.

With time I was pleasantly surprised to see how much of my past I actually did remember. The ekphrastic form was somehow therapeutic for me. I made sure the poems stood on their own, independent of the artwork. I did not set out to describe the art.  I did not write for an audience. I only executed myself and my art, just as my uncle had done. I felt him very close during the four years I worked on the manuscript. Later, I realized he had been a muse of a sort, inspiring by the ease and effortlessness of his art, and in other emotional ways hard for me to describe.

For the most part, the poems ended up narrative in nature, and when the time came to compile them into a thesis manuscript, the most natural arrangement was chronological. Eventually, a friend pointed out that I had a verse-memoir in hand. I think of the collection as a coming-of-age narrative and I hope it will inspire poets to use another’s artform to tell their own stories. The visuals are not included in the collection though they are available on the gallery page of my website. Each artwork is indicated with the title of the poem and the page number that corresponds to it.

 

BELIEVERS

for fariba

When he said
they’re deaf, dumb
and blind; so they will not return,

God meant had we died
in her arms,
                my mother would’ve carried on

spoon-feeding until certain

we were safely enshrined,
                our halos on exhibit.

Nor did she turn to salt—
even now she looks back though unsure

of what exactly was looted the year the milk

of the rubber tree on the back porch dried up.
She couldn’t hear but they carried away

the grating rattle of her pots,
giggles that died
at dinner. Hunger

stayed and reached with our thin manacled mouths

for rationed wafers that perched

higher on the shelf where nothing
               wished to be disturbed.

It wasn’t like an earthquake—

my mother couldn’t hear the night sky
               rip into starry strips,
               she felt the warheads rumble,
               listened with her feet
she kept flat under the table.

With two gold bangles chiming
on each of our wrists and the double-strand

of jasmine wilting on our chests

my mother had meant to say

we were believers
though she’d never read the Qur’an
nor heard the azan.

 
Bahman Mohassess. Untitled. 1994. Assemblage.

 

THE ITALIAN CIVIL STATE OFFICE AND THE IRANIAN EMBASSY DENY YOUR REQUEST FOR CREMATION

For Amoo

 

For ten years now I have found
                                          comfort in the freshness of the one droplet on your corpse,
clinging like morning dew
                                     to your right cheek, refusing to roll. A tear
would have—that much is certain. The mortician,
a public servant of Rome, left the room
with his tired eyes, your shirt and tie
                                                  neatly stacked,
and the pressed suit. Your socks and briefs, I handed
to him on his return. On the last trip he took the bouquet
                                                                              from my hand, and your shoes. I ask
myself, the cut roses, were they not crisp
the next morning? They lay stiffly on the bed
of baby’s breath when I returned
the next morning. Stems caught
                                          in your cuffs, they reached
                                          with clean white faces for your chin. I saw
well enough, I spotted the single droplet
                                                       on your cheek, you see, through the grease
                                                       of fingerprints at eye level. The sweaty
plexiglass pane stretched uninterrupted
from cold stony floor
to ceiling. My love, you were
                                         seamlessly sealed
away for good. Yes,
all is good, I tell myself, at museums too, a thermostat
regulates the ambient temperature. I tell myself,
                                                                   public morgues are kept perpetually chilled, cold and clean as holy mountains. And the high-pressured hose—
no doubt he must have
                               circled you clockwise
or not, no matter, three times
to be sure, mercy raining
                                   down hard, long
enough to pool about the drain. I swear,
                                                        the dewdrop on your face
my witness. Then the spray of baby’s breath, the roses
may rest easy. Surely, he must have
rolled you onto your side,
on the stainless-steel
                            trolley, an assistant,
likely a lean teenage lad had wielded
the unruly hose.
                     Did the stream follow the gnarled,
                     sinuous path through the ravine years of care had cut into
the blades of your back? I could have
assured him
                 they were whittled
down in love. I could have shown him where
                                                     to linger, let the water
linger over varicosed calves,
                                       over a gentle soul.

*

Does his girlfriend now wear
the knotted silver ring you never
                                            once pulled off that baby finger?
In ten days, you arrived at San Francisco
Airport, barely embalmed, bloated,
                                                foaming, putrid in the coffin. My love, I signed
what papers they put before me.
The next morning a breeze
                                     swept in across the bar. I watched it lean
                                     the white sails toward starboard and lift your heavy ashes
into the air. By Angel Island I scattered after you
my armful of red
                       roses into blue.

 

Bahman Mohassess.Untitled. 1996. Mixed Media Assemblage.

 

 

 

 

Rooja Mohassessy is an Iranian-born poet and educator. She is a MacDowell Fellow and an MFA graduate of Pacific University, Oregon. Her debut collection When Your Sky Runs Into Mine (Feb 2023) was the winner of the 22nd Annual Elixir Poetry Award. Her poems and reviews have appeared in Narrative Magazine, Poet Lore, RHINO Poetry, Southern Humanities Review, CALYX Journal, Ninth Letter, Cream City Review, The Adroit Journal, New Letters, The Florida Review, Poetry Northwest, The Pinch, The Rumpus, The Journal, and elsewhere. https://www.roojamohassessy.com/

Maw Shein Win’s most recent poetry collection is Storage Unit for the Spirit House (Omnidawn) which was nominated for the Northern California Book Award in Poetry, longlisted for the PEN America Open Book Award, and shortlisted for CALIBA’s Golden Poppy Award for Poetry. Win’s previous collections include Invisible Gifts (Manic D Press) and two chapbooks Ruins of a glittering palace (SPA) and Score and Bone (Nomadic Press). Win’s Process Note Series features poets and their process. She is the inaugural poet laureate of El Cerrito, CA and teaches poetry in the MFA Program at the University of San Francisco. Win often collaborates with visual artists, musicians, and other writers and was recently selected as a 2023 YBCA 100 Honoree. Along with Dawn Angelicca Barcelona and Mary Volmer, she is a co-founder of Maker, Mentor, Muse, a new literary community. mawsheinwin.com

most popular posts