Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Jason Heroux : (further) short takes on the prose poem

folio : (further) short takes on the prose poem

 

 

 

 

Prose Poetry: Literature’s Lunchbox 

 

1.
The great prose poet Louis Jenkins once wrote: The form of the prose poem is the rectangle, one of our most useful geometric shapes. Think of the prose poem as a box, perhaps the lunchbox (“A Few Words About the Prose Poem,” Nice Fish: New and Selected Prose Poems, Holy Cow! Press, 1995).

2.
There are no line breaks in a prose poem, no sudden detours, no sharp turns in a labyrinthine maze, no speed bumps controlling the flow of traffic … which means a prose poem can really pick up momentum as it rolls forward, and may end up entire worlds away from where it began.

3.
According to the Oxford Languages Dictionary, prose is defined as written or spoken language in its ordinary form, without metrical structure and poetry is defined as literary work in which special intensity is given to the expression of feelings and ideas by the use of distinctive style and rhythm.
          Put them together and what strange hybrid this way comes?
          Prose Poetry: ordinary language mixed with special intensity.

4.
A prose poem doesn’t compel the reader to read it a certain way. Standard poems often suggest a particular word carries extra value by placing it at the end of the line, allowing the reader's eye to linger on it a little longer. Likewise, an extra meaningful line may stand apart from the others. Prose poetry doesn’t manipulate the reading experience the same way. In a prose poem, all words have the same value, each line is as meaningful as its neighbour.

5.
What I appreciate most about prose poetry is that I can’t tell what it is by looking at it. A “poetry-poem,” with its various lineations and enjambments, automatically signifies itself from a distance; even before I begin reading the piece, my mind prepares me for some kind of poetic experience. That doesn’t happen with a prose poem. One has to engage with it in order to recognize what it is. Like an actual lunchbox, the reader has to open it up and look inside to see what happens next.

 

 

 

          “I was raised…”

I was raised in the village of my mouth. A baby tooth surrounded by other baby teeth. I wobbled, grew loose. I died in that village, wondering. Who brushed me twice a day? Who ached when I was in pain?

 

“Many things…”

Many things were possessed by devils in olden days, but devils have less time now, so everything has to possess itself. Puddles possessed by raindrops. The colour green possessed by the ghosts of yellow and blue, the early morning sky possessed by the hope of things to come. Last night I possessed my room to go dark after I switched off the light. The whole world is haunted, my dead grandmother said, carrying a tray of stale biscuits through the woods. The wind hurried past, like a dog playing fetch with my breath. I lost track of time. A minute went by, and then three years, and then another minute. Pencil sharpeners were banned during the war for wasting valuable wood shavings, a possessed pencil stub whispered behind my ear.





Jason Heroux was the Poet Laureate for the City of Kingston from 2019 to 2022. He is the author of four books of poetry: Memoirs of an Alias (2004); Emergency Hallelujah (2008); Natural Capital (2012) and Hard Work Cheering Up Sad Machines (2016). His recent books include a short fiction collection Survivors of the Hive (Radiant Press) and two poetry chapbooks: New and Selected Days (Origami Poems Project) and Something or Other (above/ground press).

most popular posts