Sunday, September 5, 2021

Jade Wallace : Two poems

 

 

 

Inheritance

 

A plane crashed into
my grandmother’s yard, so
she married the pilot.
 

By forty, she was
blind and had kidneys that
could not handle her blood.
 

The teenaged son she
could never relate to
flew to her on weekends.
 

Her husband’s vessel became
trains; he traded air for earth, but
still held the sea in his glass.
 

My grandmother died young and
alone. People say I’m like her, but who
knows if they mean clever or doomed.
 

Photographs, poetry she typed while
sightless, a story in the news.
She is all paper now.

 

 

 

Eavesdropping After Dark

 

Making the perilous walk to the beach at night
had only been an idle curiosity,
until you made me promise not to.

Not yet self-effacing or belligerent enough
to give in all the way to temptation,

I leave after you have fallen asleep
and walk just past the place where

the aureole of porch light ends.
I am hoping, at least, to hear the ocean.
 

After seconds of silence, I begin to make out
ship horns, water birds, and the endless whispers
exchanged between the waves and the stones,

which has a rhythm not unlike the decades-long
conversation between the air and your lungs,

which I catch a few sentences of when I am
back inside, sitting at the kitchen table,

and you are still not yet awake.

 

 

 

 

Jade Wallace’s poetry and fiction have appeared in journals including Canadian Literature, This Magazine, The Stockholm Review, and Hermine. Wallace is the reviews editor for CAROUSEL and co-founder of the collaborative writing entity MA|DE, and has a debut full-length poetry collection, Love Is A Place But You Cannot Live There, forthcoming from Guernica Editions in 2023. Stay in touch: jadewallace.ca

 

most popular posts