Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Gabriela Luzzi : City, translated from the Spanish by kevin mcpherson eckhoff

 

 

 

We entered an unfamiliar house
while the owners slept
one of them got up with a wrinkled shirt to say:

“Do whatever you want...!” So, we sat at the empty table
not eating

not drinking
The owners of the house continued to sleep. Why’d we stay there?

My friend was looking for something
a little heat

or drugs
but the table offered nothing.

Only a piece of paper
folded

hand-written
and forgotten by those who never expected visitors.

It was two o'clock
in the house and

I decided to look around.
With capital letters

the note said
DO EVERYTHING ALREADY.

To imagine detailing every little thing
when I write

with that phrase
I wouldn’t be afraid

of being read.

Only when your health is poor
do you see little stars all around.
The doctor can say

tell me if you see stars
because usually they aren’t seen.

Usually you see other things
or you see stars in the sky

and even have scientific thoughts
the southern cross

the three marys
the morning star

that’s born first
and dies last.

Or you could look at the sky and imagine connecting with someone:
at twelve we both looked at that star and decided

go for it?

Once
a photographer came over
very sincere

with a big camera
she said

I wasted
my life

that I could be much happier
than I was

Happier how?
The photographer told me

that if I focused, if I looked
through a telephoto lens

I could find a way
to be happier.

That week it didn't stopped raining
the balcony was full of leaves and dirt

and the windowpanes
looked dismal.

As it was Saturday, even if she did come
I wanted to clean

I said, how about doing a series
of photos called

exposing
a woman cleaning her house.

I put detergent in a bowl
with lots of water

and started to scrub the glass
until it filled with suds

glowing and exploding
then I threw

hot water on them
the sun

at 11 in the morning
would evaporate it faster

she took pictures of the puddles
and through the window

where my hair was flying
I didn’t care

about my hair covering
my face

it always went to-and-fro
with my arms

as it passed the cloth or the sponge
and I felt it’d look good

in the photos.
I remembered a cubist painting

where there are bubbles
an iron, little doilies with lace

and a diary.

 

  

 

 

Gabriela Luzzi was born in Rawson, Argentina, in 1974. Her books include El Resto de los Seres Vivos (Editorial Conejos, 2016), Warnes (Eloísa Cartonera, 2016), Un Alhajero sin Terminar (Santos Locos, 2016), and Liebre (Ediciones Vox, 2015), while her work has been anthologized and featured in such events as Veni Vidi Vici, The Madonna Project, and 53/70: Argentine Poetry of the XXI Century. She currently operates the small press Paisanita Editora.

kevin mcpherson eckhoff is a writer, teacher, editor, and actor. His work has been anthologized in The New Concrete and Why Poetry Sucks and the forthcoming Experimental Praxis. His most recent book is their biography (BookHug, 2015) and his fifth book, The Pain Itself, is forthcoming from Insert Blanc Press. He currently occupies the traditional Syilx territories where Okanagan College pays him to hang out with rad student folks.

These poems originally appeared in Liebre (Ediciones Vox, 2015).

 

most popular posts