Tuesday, October 3, 2023

John Levy : Six poems

 

 

La Jolla, Thursday Morning, 9/14/23

 

My late mother would’ve turned 100 today.
I didn’t remember it’s her birthday this morning

when I began walking on the beach before 6:30. An overcast

day, comfortably 63 degrees Fahrenheit. A stranger
(in his late 60s) was strolling Gunther, his Golden Doodle, back

and forth across a gleaming, little sandy stretch.

I began this poem (before remembering Mom’s birthday)
thinking it would be about the heron I saw. It stood

on a rocky outcrop above a narrow space between ledges,

watching the waves below
deliver small fish

it could see from up there and I

couldn’t. And back in my room, I thought

I’d write about how if I’d
seen

a hundred other herons the last few days

(I’ve seen thousands of pelicans and seagulls),
this first and only one

wouldn’t have stopped mefor an hour, an hour
I was lucky to have

alone with it. The roots of heron

extend back to circa 1300: the word
has changed as it passed through languages,

including French, Frankish, Old High

German, Danish, Dutch, Old Norse. It’s
speculated that the sound of the older

forms of the word imitate its cry.

 

 

 

Letter to Dave Read (5/14/21)

 

Dear Dave,

For the last two weeks a pair of doves
have tried to build a nest under the overhang
near our front door. The female changes

position, occasionally, facing inward or outward, while the male

brings long thin twigs he places

beside her before flying off for more. Each time she
shifts, she knocks twigs down. The other day we found
a broken egg near our welcome mat.

For a day we rejoiced when neither was up there
Finally, they’ve figured out how futile
the spot is
.

But they returned. Leslie put a clay pot up
near them, weighed down with dirt and rocks,
hoping they’d choose that. After two days they did,

which we knew from all the dirt they’d kicked out.
A worm from Leslie’s garden, she guessed, may have
been their goal. Other news?

We’ve seen our first rattlesnake and gila monster
of the year, no scorpion yet. The word trivia

is longer than haiku, and should be. Trivium

is from Latin, a place where three ways
meet. I just passed a minute, unable
to believe my eyes, because the word in the OED

after Trivet is Trivial, not Trivia. I feel as baffled

as those two doves may have felt. There are many
definitions for trivial in the OED, most of them
now obscure. One is that in Natural History

the word applies to names of animals and plants
(to distinguish common or “vulgar” names
from scientific ones). Should I insert a haiku here?

Or throw in the kitchen sink? I wonder what, in other languages,

is the equivalent for a kitchen sink in such an expression,

I can’t imagine the Japanese saying, “Throw in the haiku.”

                                                                   (5/14/21, 9/25/23)

 

 

1962, UFO Sighting in Arizona

 

Summer evening, Andy, my younger brother, and I
in the Phoenix backyard. I don’t know where
Mom and Dad were. I was 11, he was 7. We both

saw a luminous oval hovering low in the sky,

pearly silver and glowing. I’d never felt so alone
with Andy. I hurried inside to call the police. A man
answered. I thought he might say many people had been calling.

“What do you want me to do? Chase it with an umbrella?”
He banged down the phone.

 

 

 

In Fifth Grade, at My Wooden Desk

 

The teacher talked, up there in front of the
blackboard. I imagined both my hands
were about to be chopped off at the wrists, then placed

on a long table on a white tablecloth
with 99 other pairs of hands. None of the wrists
would be bleeding. The high-ranking officer

behind the table would order me to identify my
pair of hands. If I could, on the first try,
I could have them back.

As the teacher
talked, I studied my hands, preparing
to find them.

 

 

 

Jasper Johns' Marmoset

 

died.

Jasper Johns and Robert Rauschenberg cried
at the burial, at Larry Rivers' house, when the small monkey

was placed underground. Frank O'Hara
thought it was funny, according to Steven Rivers (as told

in Brad Gooch's book), which Steven thought showed Frank
"had a very sick sense of humor sometimes."

They were all young (except for the tree, and the late
monkey, perhaps, whose age Gooch doesn't mention) and

the tree is probably still there, though
perhaps "owned" by someone else

who may have no idea of the monkey
genuinely mourned by almost all.

 

 

 

Out of the

 

Out of the fankle of shadows the very red head of
a cardinal shows up

first, as it walks a few inches over to the white bowl

filled with water and placed under the mesquites
to drink. I had looked up “fankle” moments before

I looked out the window. It’s
in a poem by Alison Flett, a poet I learned about

after she died and Ken Bolton told me he’d be

attending a gathering for her. The poem is “Arrival.”
As a verb, fankle means to tangle or entangle. As a noun,

a tangled condition. Before seeing the cardinal,

I’d been thinking about the word “shroud” because it’s
in a poem by another friend, Joseph Aversano, and been recalling

the impression Madame Defarge made on me in high school, in

A Tale of Two Cities, when she says she’s making a shroud.
I’d been wondering how I might use “shroud” in a poem and

then, in “Arrival,” read these lines:

 

the canopy of leaves like the dropped
                                                                  shroud

                                         of a no-longer-needed

                                                Deus-ex-machina.

 

Flett was born in Scotland and moved to Adelaide. “Arrival”
is full

of words I have to look up, like “thrang” and “sinders”

(both perhaps commonly used in Scotland?). The cardinal
gone now, nothing

is drinking from the white bowl.

 

 

 

 

John Levy lives in Tucson. His most recent book of poetry is 54 poems: selected & new (Shearsman Books, 2023). He has also published a journal about living in a Greek village for two years (1983-85) entitled We Don’t Kill Snakes Where We Come From (Querencia Books, 1994) and a book of short stories and prose pieces, A Mind’s Cargo Shifting: Fictions (First Intensity Press, 2011).

most popular posts