Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Process Note #14 : Thea Matthews

The 'process notes' pieces were originally solicited by Maw Shein Win as addendum to her teaching particular poems and poetry collections for various workshops and classes. These poems and process note by Thea Matthews is part of her curriculum for her Poetry Workshop at University of San Francisco in their MFA Program for Spring semester of 2023. https://www.usfca.edu/arts-sciences/programs/graduate/writing-mfa

 

Huntsville
Alabama, 2021

 for Christina Nance

 

“Your great grand-daddy was a sharecropper here,”
my gramma would say, “until he disappeared.”
Her skin was smooth like dark apple butter,
and her daughter, my mother, would look at me
like I was a whitetail. The windows would crack,
and I’d be left with keloids and jars of pickled eggs.
The rest of my family were alligators. I grew up shy.
Bobbing back and forth in my Sunday best,
I didn’t talk much. And when I did, I’d speak
as if my tongue were a sweet potato. And when I’d sing,
I sang making the Lord so proud of me. I’d feel
the Spirit rise within, swaying my hips and arms
in praise, like a church fan in one hand, and frozen
strawberry lemonade, in another. O did I love to sing,
and hum hymns in the halls, and when my sister would say
“Sing, Christina!” I would! I sure would, knowing
my heart would be safe for long walks away
from the forest edge with my sister.
With my eyes hiding behind shelves, I knew to pose,
pay my taxes, write letters, pick passing
blackbirds as lovers. They’d leave, I’d stay.
I can smell anything. The scent of passion seeping
in through a man’s skin. I’d smell the sheets, Old Spice,
what lotion she was wearing. I can even smell
the white lilies on the day of my funeral.
To be a whitetail hunter, you must be so still
to kill one, be so cold to later say it was suicide.
I stopped singing the day I went missing.
Supposedly, I’m seen first lying on the lawn.
Supposedly, I’m then seen leaning on the hood of a cop car.
Supposedly, I take off my shoes…Twelve days
and nights go by… Where once to transport
convicts, evidence, a whitetail hunter dressed
in camouflage smiles, one arm around his doe
for the trophy picture.
I’m found dead in the back of a police van. 

––By Thea Matthews (2022)

Originally published in Southern Indiana Review, Vol.29, No.1. Spring 2022. Print.

 

Process of writing “Huntsville” ––

As a poet, everything and anything can lead to poetry––a memory, a dead sparrow, a friend’s laugh, a news headline. So when I came across this news headline about the death of Christina Nance, I heard in my ear Write me. I’m a poem.

We live in a bona fide era of mass shootings, systemic police brutality, and simply humans “hunting” humans on unprecedented levels, hence, I was immediately intrigued by the name of the town itself: Huntsville. From this gravitational pull, much of my writing for me these days begins with research. Best believe, I researched and observed photos of the town, watched security footage of Christina in the parking lot, and read what her family said about her. I read and watched as much as what was freely available to me, and I researched and kept researching until one night, I knew I was ready.

I had enough to write to embody the essence, the life force of a woman who lives beyond the material plane. To write a dramatic monologue or persona poem means I uphold my responsibility to not have the person become a caricature of some kind or romanticize violence in any way to minimize or invalidate an experience. I incorporated prose elements such as dialogue and used a method of characterization to illuminate the rise and devastating fall of this person.

When I write in persona / dramatic monologues I write to affirm an experience in high definition. I validate on a deeper level, and it’s an honor because for me, writing poetry is a powerful way to affirm and validate experiences. No one could argue with me about how I felt or what I endured when I sat to write a poem.

Lastly, metaphor is one of the best devices poets have in their pockets. So Christina was not trapped in a victim archetype if you will, but instead became a whitetail deer and the police officer(s) who kill are mere hunters. 

February, 2023

 

 

 

 

Thea Matthews is a poet, author, and educator born and raised on the land of the Ohlone, San Francisco, California. She holds an MFA in poetry from New York University. Her poetry has appeared in or is forthcoming in Epiphany Magazine, Alta JournalThe Courtland ReviewWest Trade ReviewSouthern Indiana ReviewInterimTahoma Literary ReviewThe New Republic, and others. She was nominated for Best New Poets 2022 and Best of the Net 2021 for her work; and is the author of Unearth [The Flowers] (Red Light Lit Press, 2020), which was listed under Kirkus Reviews’ Best Indie Poetry of 2020. Currently, Thea lives on the land of the Lenape, Brooklyn, New York. 

Maw Shein Win's recent poetry book is Storage Unit for the Spirit House (Omnidawn), which was nominated for the Northern California Book Award in Poetry, longlisted for the PEN America Open Book Award, and shortlisted for the California Independent Booksellers Alliance's Golden Poppy Award for Poetry. D.A. Powell wrote of it, "Poetry has long been a vessel, a container of history, emotion, perceptions, keepsakes. This piercing, gorgeous collection stands both inside and outside of containment: the porcelain vase of stargazer lilies is considered alongside the galley convicts, the children sleeping on the cement floors of detention cells, the nats inside their spirit houses; the spirit houses inside their storage units.…These poems are portals to other worlds and to our own, a space in which one sees and one is seen. A marvelous, timely, and resilient book." Win's previous collections include Invisible Gifts (Manic D Press); her chapbooks include Ruins of a glittering palace (SPA) and Score and Bone (Nomadic Press). Win’s Process Note Series on periodicities : a journal of poetry and poetics features poets and their process. She is the inaugural poet laureate of El Cerrito and often collaborates with visual artists, musicians, and other writers. mawsheinwin.com

most popular posts