Saturday, April 1, 2023

Ken Norris : Seven poems

 

 

 

THREE COINS IN A FOUNTAIN

Don’t be the greeter at the Faith Walmart.
The mega-churches will have your life for lunch.
I’m just saying.

                            The autumn leaves are drifting by
everyone’s window. The grey skies of Toronto
copyright the poet.

                                    I gave it all
to the English Romantics. Or rather,
they gave it all to me. A motion
and a spirit, indeed. Mind-forged manacles
and the priests in black gowns.

And if I say “G-d” I mean
“group of drunks.” Are my strength
and my resolve. The Universalists say
Hell doesn’t exist.
                                Nor would a loving god
create one.

 

 

DIFFICULTY AT THE BEGINNING

It’s hard to live in this world,
difficult to face and embrace
the awkwardness of love,
the ravages of desire,
the numb cruelty of appetite.
To be or not to be a being,
going it alone
through the swirling mass of contradictions,
born to die and bound to fail,
beneath a majestic night sky full of boundless stars.

 

 

PLACE POEM

When I get to the place
I need to be
the stores are usually closed.

Abandoned streets
are sweet in retrospect.
Looking back on lost loves

feels awful too.
If we were meant
to feel good all the time

we’d already be living
in Paradise. Or so
some might say.

I say it’s all right
to hitchhike out of
any place that isn’t feeding you.

 

 

IMMENSITY

All the quiet bricklaying
came to nought. We were lost
in an immensity too vast
to be comprehended by anyone
beyond the open-hearted.

I watched them squander their lives
on hopeless projects of self-importance.
It all came down to the beautiful ministers—
what could not be possessed, only touched.

The shapes of clouds,
that had been changing
since the opening days of existence,
were going by, unnoticed.

And the freedoms were so easily
given away. By those who were born
in chains, only to die in chains.

 

 

HAMMERHEAD


I get lost on these shores,
listening to the ocean waves. 

What’s out there.

The mind sketches a horizon.
Any time of visible day.

I’m back to an old methodology
that never did work for me.

Calling upon the angels,
looking for their footsteps in the sand.

 

 

ALISON

There’s going to be life
after baseball, but not
pretty life. I encounter

a song that brings
tears to my eyes,
though I cannot remember

any time it applied
to me or anyone
I knew. The name

drops and the tears
come down, though
I don’t know you,

and never did.

 

 

LAST BOOK

Last book I was troubling myself
with how to build a bridge
over the river of time.

Everything I looked at
seemed real to me.

And I was wanting to
go back in time,
to memorialize
the little acts
of love and theft.

Now it’s raining
as it always seems
to be lately.
The present’s tense,
and I am proceeding
without a plan.

 

 

 

 

 

Ken Norris was born in New York City in 1951. He came to Canada in the early 1970s, to escape Nixon-era America and to pursue his graduate education. He completed an M.A. at Concordia University and a Ph.D. in Canadian Literature at McGill University. He became a Canadian citizen in 1985. Norris is Professor Emeritus at the University of Maine, where he taught Canadian Literature and Creative Writing for thirty-three years. His latest chapbook, Echoes, is forthcoming from above/ground press. He currently resides in Toronto.

most popular posts