Saturday, March 4, 2023

Laura Walker : note on genesis

 

 

 

 

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. And God said, Let there be light: and there was light…

These words have haunted me since before memory begins. My father is a fervent atheist, but growing up in the rural south I desperately wanted to believe what my friends believed. I mostly failed. But I could be overcome, completely undone, by the cadences of Genesis. To this day, their beauty and flow define yearning for me.

A while back I began to write into those cadences, but what emerged was a focus on undoing, on destruction, on the eerie and the haunted, rather than a linear map of creation: in the beginning the sound of holes, and the weight of treason and light paper streamers. and a hundredfold, and below; and the girls with thickening braids, brought round at last to see the slick animal caught in the rain. and the deluge; and the dark; and the story past the window

And yet for me the pull– the yearning– feels the same.

Often my writing begins with an image, a narrative fragment, or a partial memory. In genesis, it began with rhythm. By focusing on that pull, I could let image and narrative wash over me.

Writing genesis felt a lot like trying to ride– or just survive– a river in full flood. I wrote genesis before I wrote psalmbook, my most recent full-length book, which also responds to the King James Version of the Bible. In genesis, the impetus was rhythm; in psalmbook, it’s voice. In both, though, the yearning I felt as a child is still in full force.

 

 

 

 

 

Laura Walker is the author of psalmbook (2022), story (2016), and Follow-Haswed (2012), all from Apogee Press, as well as bird book (Shearsman Books, 2011), rimertown/ an atlas (UC Press, 2008), and swarm lure (Battery Press, 2004). Her chapbook bird book was published by Albion Books in 2010. She grew up in North Carolina and now lives in Berkeley, California, where she teaches poetry. In 2022 she joined Apogee Press as a co-editor.

 

most popular posts