Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Stuart Ross : Four poems

 

 

 

HIBERNATION


A fox stood in the icy road,
its eyes tiny bonfires.
I held my palms close
for warmth. Cars wove
around us, spewing smoke
out their windows.
I couldn’t tell who
the fox was thinking of
but its ears were so pointy
they punctured the frigid
air, and a great hiss
flung me into
a neighbour’s bushes.
I lay there till spring.
I wondered if I still
had my job. I craved a variety
of small mammals, plus
nuts and some fruits.
A letter arrived, addressed to me.
I ripped it open with my teeth.
This is to inform you, it read,
that the Beth Radom Temple
has accepted your application
for membership in the Shabbat
Poetry Club. Please bring
your pointy ears.


 

HANS ARP & OTHER MATTERS


I instructed my left eyeball
to read everything it could find
about how the Dadaists spent
their leisure time, and to my right eyeball,
I said, “Watch out for that dark-haired
girl I loved in Grade 2, the one with
the flaring nostrils and the lavender
Hush Puppies, who once
helped me up when I tripped
in the schoolyard, whose lips
turned bright red when she chewed
emergency gum, whose wild-haired mother
she hid from her classmates, and who,
for Halloween, dressed as Petunia
the Duck.” I hadn’t seen her
for forty-eight years, and now
she is a lawyer, a painter,
a scriptwriter, or living in Ptuj
under a new identity. I wanted only
to hear, once more, her voice, her
slight lisp; to gently touch her
shining black hair with just one
of my seven-year-old fingertips; I
wanted to say I remembered her
and remind her of my name and
the time she cupped my elbow in her
tiny palm to help me to my feet
as blood dribbled from my knee
and tears from my eyes,
including the one that, forty-eight
years later, would turn to me
and say, “Hans Arp
liked playing solitaire.”


 

CAN’T EXPLAIN POEM

after Lisa Jarnot’s “Tell Me Poem”


I can’t explain cartoons
that feature dolphins then I can’t
explain why I constantly check
if my headlights are on and
my stove is off plus I can’t
explain your poetry my
actions the concept of grief
the shape of my mother’s
face so I walk along the sidewalk
and wait for someone to walk
along the sidewalk alongside
me carrying a broken umbrella
or maybe a paper bag of snap
peas plus an extra head for
when the first one gets tired
and a trail of cartoon animals
both black and white and
colour struggling to keep up
with the science of the brain

 

 

FIREBALL XL5 AUBADE


I pilot a ship, deke missiles, take
brutal abdominal strikes, nodes
waving in my stomach like
seaweed in that other Super-
marionation world, the one where
Marina plays Ladyfish to
Troy Tempest’s Mr. Limpet. 

Each night I return to Space City,
where I’m pumped full of morphine
and made to run through the same
room over and over like an actual
Flintstone. Every time I gaze
into your starry eyes, you draw
a small tick on your clipboard. At night,

the groans from the other beds
drift like ghosts through the hallways.
The air is sucked from my cabin, and
as I lie dying, I hear my mother cry,
O Absalom my son, O Steve Zodiac,
O Stuart Zalman Nehemiah, O Seth
,
and I shrink into her warm arms

that no longer live, but still
she is my mother. The cat cries
to go out but it’s way too cold.
I promise to decompose
quietly as I can manage.

 

 

 

 

Stuart Ross is the author of over 20 books of fiction, poetry, and personal essays, as well as scores of chapbooks. His most recent books are the memoir The Book of Grief and Hamburgers, winner of the 2023 Trillium Book Award, and the short story collection I Am Claude François and You Are a Bathtub. Stuart won the 2019 Harbourfront Festival Prize, the 2017 Canadian Jewish Literary Award for Poetry, and the 2010 Relit Award for Short Fiction. Since 1979, Stuart has run a micropress called Proper Tales. In the 1980s, he sold over 7,000 of his chapbooks on the streets of Toronto, wearing signs such as “Writer Going To Hell: Buy My Books.” Stuart lives in the tiny town of Cobourg, Canada, on the north shore of Lake Ontario.

most popular posts