Saturday, October 3, 2026

David Herd : Die Wintereisse

 

i

When it snows in the woods
And I am there
To witness
The ice
As I am privileged to watch it
Seal the pond
Soft
Against the grass
Outlining leafless branches
Voice
If I might still say voicing
Winter song 

Die Winterreisse
In a tone that was both gentle
And intended
To carry
The sound of snowflakes
As they fall against the world
Soft
Into the night
I witness a thrush calling
Repeating and repeating
This not
Light. 

 

ii.

It is seven and the stars
All of the stars are shining 

No cloud to speak of
As the world wakes. 

No clouds only patterns
Instruments of light 

Before we speak or
As day breaks. 

Before all the singing
It is the song of the stars 

Each of them open
To a human voice 

I would have said watching
Even while the snow melts 

Not yet quite gone
Present tense.

 

iii.

We feel now
The future in the instant
There are two of us and we are
Walking this winter lane
Like we haven’t seen
In who knows how long we remember
The land laid out
Only words remain. 

We don’t pray but
Across the valley
We hear the call to prayer
The need at least as it is spoken
To observe the hours
Vigil to mark the day
And as the light comes matins
Yellow against the gorse
As snow stays 

As we watch each step
Zwischen den Jahren
Where the quietness is a promise
On the world’s terms
Who walk
Listening we think
To the year’s silence
This most complex of emotions
Darkness
Turns.

  

iv.

And while you draw
I put words to things
Like I might offer
Or as if I would only name them
These things would stay
Like rhyme
Might hold you in place
Or as if a sound
Was a charm
Held over towards a future
Before the ice
Breaks 

Like that painting by Camille Pissarro
The Banks of the Marne in Winter
Not picturesque
People walking beside a line of trees
The scale held down
Uninterrupted by any majestic elements
Like a draughtsman
In the landscape
Delineating human intervals 

A couple of people
Making their way
Pictured in the act of composition
And the painting doesn’t tell us
But there might be snow 

Just not yet
Only buildings as a principle of arrangement
Likened to one another
As echoes
Hold.

 

 

 

 

David Herd [photo credit: Sarah Hickson] is the author of numerous books of poetry and prose. His most recent collection, Walk Song (2022), was a Book of the Year in the Australian Book Review and his forthcoming collection, As If It Was Possible This Morning, will be published by Shearsman later this year. He has given readings in Europe, North America, India and Australia, and has held fellowships at George Mason University, Simon Fraser University and the Writing Center, Gloucester, Massachusetts. His critical history, Writing Against Expulsion in the Post-war World: Making Space for the Human was shortlisted for the 2024 MSA Book Prize. He is Professor of Literature and Human Rights at the University of St Andrews and co-organiser of the project Refugee Tales.