Saturday, August 1, 2026

Cary Fagan : Four poems from Useful Poems

 

 

 

Painting Poem

I don’t want
to paint
a mural
a cathedral’s
ceiling
the brick
wall
beside 
the Korean
grocery 

I want
to paint
a
dandelion
bee
chestnut
pencil stub
shoelace 

house
key

 

 

Useful Poem

With this poem
you can 

open a bottle
of beer 

pull out a
splinter 

cut out
an image
of the moon 

attract
pigeons 

stop a cut
from bleeding 

play a melody
while you
rock
the baby
 

 

 

Birney Poem 

I remember
an Earle Birney
poem called
“Half-Person’s Day” 

around 1978
I saw him
on the
Wellesley bus
so recognizably
tall and
gangly
and with
that beard 

He was
friendly 

Badmouthed
certain
Victorian poets
I was
reading 

 

 

Noise Poem 

furious
grinding
of the truck
at the curb 

then
silence 

 

and then

birds

 

 

 

Cary Fagan is the author of novels, short story collections, children’s books, and poetry chapbooks. His next novel, Still the World, will be published by Book*Hug in 2027. He is involved in two chapbook houses, espresso and Found Object. These poems are from a new chapbook out this month with above/ground press.